Montag, Januar 09, 2006

The Christian Right threatens Critics

Thanks to Pharyngula, I found this Washington Post Article about a meeting of the religious right on Jan8 where they wanted
to build support for Supreme Court nominee Samuel A. Alito Jr. as part of their effort to block gay marriage, end abortion and restore religious expression in the public square.

For me, most interesting is this part (I've made the accentuations):
Citing the harsh criticism he has faced from liberals and other black leaders, Lusk said: "I've been called a sellout. I've been called an Uncle Tom, and the New York Times called me a maverick in the black church." Lusk said he welcomed being called a maverick if it means supporting "the original intent of God Almighty" in opposition to abortion and the "redefinition of marriage. . . . Brothers and sisters, we will not go down without a fight."

Lusk warned adversaries: "My friends, don't fool with the church because the church has buried a million critics. And those the church has not buried, the church has made funeral arrangement for."

Lusk, a Bush supporter whose organization has received more than $1 million in federal grants under the administration's Faith Based Initiative, said, "From all I believe, this is the right thing to do," referring to his central role in "Justice Sunday III." "I believe this is what Jesus would have me do."
You know, I'm a Christian, and this is what I believe Jesus would have me to do: get those darn hypocrites out of their churches and show them the real world. It's a woman's choice to decide wether to do an abortion or not, at least until a certain age of the fetus. It's a man's or a woman's right to choose the sexuality of their partner - and if they want to marry and be a happy family, then why shouldn't they. It's a child's right to have sex-ed in school - because that's it what prevents unintended pregnancies, not some Abstinence-Only stuff. And, darn, it's my right to have sex just for fun, not for breeding, to have sex before marriage (who wants to buy the pig in the poke?) and to decide, what practices I use, until they are consensual and not dealing with kids or animals, of course. And if Mr. Lusk wants me to burn for that, shall he come.

Labels: